Monday, December 31, 2007

Using .NET

I've spent the last 27 years programming in various languages. I started with Fortran and moved on from their. Almost any language after a break I can pick up again pretty quickly. I don't know if it is just me but this isn't the case with .NET. I always seem to spend hours doing the simplest kind of stuff (Making a grid update a database). You have table-adaptors and datasets and grids and all seem to have an update command but finding which ones to use is painful. In the examples, the seem to do everything directly from the ADO connection/command and dataset objects.
In the end it only ends up being a couple of lines of extra code but why can't you throw a grid on a screen, bind it to a recordset and make it automatically manage add/update/delete. If you want to manage this yourself then you add extra code. The problem is that I only do this every six months or so and if I still had an older version of VB or Visual Studio that supports ASP I would probably use those. It would be a lot more coding but I would spend less time stuffing around.

No comments: