Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Problems recovering a HP backup

Further to my fan boy posting from yesterday. I tried to restore a HP image back to a new computer using Acronis Universal restore. The restore just froze. I tried backing up to another computer. I actually moved the backup to another hard disk and installed this as a second hard drive on the computer. These all failed to complete the reinstall.
Now HP put an extra partition onto their computer. This is the recovery partition and allows the computer to be returned to factory settings. Acronis seems to have a problem with this. I manually selected the C partition and the boot partition and the restore went fine.
One note on the HP recovery partition, it is the cause of a lot of accidents. Some people have been known to wipe their hard disk thinking that this recovery partition will return their computer to back before some failure happened.

No comments: